Saturday, April 25, 2009

Good Vibrations and Excitations

At the risk of sounding naive and idiotic, let me say i'm just discovering lately that The Beach Boys are brilliant. It all started with me needing new (old) music. I always feel like there is so much classic rock out there and that I'm only familiar with the hits, so I searched some used cd's on Half.com to hear some more album tracks from various bands. I can't quite remember everything I purchased. There was Simon & Garfunkel, Lou Reed, The Pogues, Gordon Lightfoot, Nick Drake, some random others, and The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds.

Photobucket

I always kinda wrote off The Beach Boys as a corny boy band from way back when. However, upon hearing Pet Sounds I got such a different impression of them. Not only is the songwriting on the album amazing, but there are layers upon layers of beautiful instruments and vocal harmonies carefully arranged to Brian Wilson's specific tastes. The lushness makes you want to hear the songs again and again so you can pick out all of the little things that are happening. I found myself listening to Pet Sounds almost obsessively; first thing in the morning when I woke up, at work, driving in the car, while cleaning the house, etc. I suppose this is a small example of why it is considered one of the best rock albums of all time.


Wouldn't It Be Nice from Pet Sounds

I told Shawn about my excitement with their complex arrangments and harmonies and he told me about how he kinda grew up listening to The Beach Boys. Then he gave me their Greatest Hits Vol. 1, Sunflower, and Surf's Up. I then went out and purchased Smiley Smile and Wild Honey. Shawn went out and purchased a couple more, one of them being Beach Boys' Party!. Suddenly we're watching documentaries and discussing controversial subjects like "which band is better, The Beatles or The Beach Boys?" *GASP!*


The Beach Boys - Live on Ready Steady Go! 1964

I will go so far as to say that The Beach Boys are positively affecting the way I see things, exciting me to write songs, and making me a much happier person in general. I was living under a rock and now I'm enlightened. Their voices are an inspiration. I could probably go on and on but I'm sure Shawn will have something to post on the matter when he round round gets around to it.

1 comment:

Eileen said...

Glad you are feeling inspired!!! I love me some Harry Chapin and also some Simon and Garfunkel.