Saturday, October 11, 2008

The rhythm (based game) is gonna get you!


All I'm missing is "Samba De Amigo"

I love rhythm based music games. Maybe its the musician in me embracing the fake musician in me, but hitting buttons (or fake drums, or footpads, or guitar frets, depending on the game and peripheral) in time with my favorite (and not so favorite) songs will always be fun to me.

Rhythm based games like Dance Dance Revolution and Rock Band are the natural step-kids of Karaoke, the "fake it if you can't make it" singing culture that made its way from Japanese bars all the way around the world and back.

This post is basically a thank you note to my friend and real life band mate Jesse. Today he was nice enough to give me, out of the kindness of his heart, two brand new pairs of Donkey Kong Bongos and a copy of Donkey Konga.

Because of a friend's kind gesture, today is a special day for me. You see, until today I could not find a rhythm based game that my wife and I could play together. Up until today we have been somewhat of a music game odd couple: she with her DDR and me with my Guitar Hero. However within a few seconds of the first song we played together on Donkey Konga we were laughing, clapping and bongo-ing our way to music game marital bliss.

Thank you Nintendo, and thank you Jesse.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen so many rhythm game instruments in one picture...good job.

Eileen said...

yeah, it was difficult to balance the Donkey Conga's on the Rock Band drum set, but we did it!

Donkey Conga is where it's at!

Anonymous said...

That is certainly an epic photo. I'm glad you're enjoying your plastic instruments. DK Rap all the way.